DALLAS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT TIP:
A COMMON PROBLEM IN DALLAS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT:
Placing tenants without being mindful of all of the potential legal pitfalls can be a costly proposition to homeowners and landlords. It is important that Dallas rental property owners avoid the risk, liability and expense of common mistakes like these:
- Non-compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act due to access, discrimination, or restricting/charging for service animals.
- Violating federal and/or Texas Fair Housing laws through discrimination.
- Failing to comply with habitability laws (can lead to the cost of constructive eviction), including refusal to urgently and effectively attend to any safety, mold or structural/foundation issues.
- Hiring an unlicensed or improperly licensed maintenance company to handle a repair or property management.
- Neglecting federal and state regulations on the maintenance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Not maintaining a dedicated 24 hour contact system able to handle after-hours and holiday emergencies and failing to document each step of the process.
- Conducting Dallas property management activities that can/should only be conducted by a licensed real estate agent.
- Improperly handling security deposits and funds in violation of trust accounting laws.
- Failing to keep the necessary records, the primary source of “reliable” information in litigation, including all documents relating to accounting, expenses, correspondence, notices, complaints and leases (must be securely kept well after the tenant has vacated).
- Failing to keep personal tenant information confidential to avoid liability.
And these are just a few of the federal, state, local and industry laws and regulations Dallas landlords must know and comply with in order to avoid litigation, liability and expense.
THE SPECIALIZED PROPERTY MANAGEMENT DALLAS SOLUTION:
Your compliance team here at Specialized Property Management Dallas/Ft. Worth helps protect you with a proven system and local regulatory expertise that reduces your risk:
- In-house legal counsel and risk mitigation policies
- Trust accounting compliance for security deposits
- Eviction & writ of possession services
- Impeccable ethics & integrity
STAYING CURRENT ON REGULATIONS
Regulations apply to tenants and landlords at the local, state and federal level. Our in-house legal counsel and compliance team work hard to stay current on the wide range of continually shifting applicable regulations to ensure you are protected, including:
- State property code laws
- Local city ordinances
- Fair Housing Act & ADA
- Department of Real Estate
- Tenant screening regulations
- Real estate contract law on residential leases
- Trust and escrow laws on security deposits and monthly rental payments
- Tenant and landlord maintenance laws
- Collection and eviction laws
- Property inspection regulations
There are dozens of applicable laws, ordinances, regulations that carry potential risks and financial liability when you own rental property. It is critical that you, or your professional Dallas property management provider, remain constantly current on all applicable requirements to help you avoid costly mistakes.
Put our team, experience, and ethics to work for you.